Thursday, October 09, 2008

Hurricane Brooklyn


We learned the day after Hurricane Ike why we came out so well. We were going to have to be prepared for Hurricane Brooklyn. We were so sleep deprived from the closet camp out the night before that all of us were walking and falling all over the place. Jeremy went upstairs to get Brooklyn out of bed and when he was coming down he lost his footing and fell hard while holding Brookie. He caught himself on his elbow and bottom and tried to hold Brooklyn up with his other hand so he didn't land on her. I heard him hit and the thoughts that were going through my mind were awful. I really expected them to be at the bottom of the staircase or see Jeremy on top of the baby. Brooklyn was pretty upset but not the kind of cry you would expect if she had been really hurt. I had made brownies so we fed her some brownies to get her calmed down and when that didn't work we thought the fall must have really scared her. She stayed pretty fussy the rest of the day and then we noticed she wouldn't put any weight on her right foot. She also got really upset when we changed her diaper. Nothing around town was open to get her into and we learned later that the emergency room, most likely would have sent us home.
I decided to take her to her doctor Monday morning and he sent us for an x-ray. Before the x-ray I called and had Jeremy meet me at the hospital. I have never felt so sorry for him as I did when we found out Brooklyn's ankle was broken. It was a buckle fracture in her lower tibia and apparently quite a common break in toddlers. Poor Jeremy was near tears when we headed to the orthopedic surgeon. But she is fine and handled the broken leg much better than her Daddy did. Check out Brooklyn's new look for the fall season.
If you're going to have a cast it might as well be hot pink!

The cast really didn't bother her at all and she only had to wear it for three weeks. She loved to bang it against her baby bed at about three in the morning over and over again but other than that and bath time it wasn't so bad. She didn't miss a beat with that thing on. The doctor told us it might push back her walking a little bit we told him that wasn't a big deal since she didn't want to walk before the broken leg! She had her 15 month appointment while her leg was broken and she still couldn't break into the 20 pound range even with the cast! She was 19 pounds 7 ounces.
She has now gotten the cast off and gets around really well. Still choosing not to walk. Oh she can walk we saw her do it last weekend going after Dado's blackberry. Apparently if you don't have anything good enough she's not going to walk for it! Why should she when she clearly doesn't have too.

4 comments:

Brenda B said...

Poor pumpkin baby!!! Poor daddy!! Her pink cast was very cute though. Glad she healed so fast.

The Rhoads said...

Robin, I was SO excited to check your blog and see new pics!!!! All of them are too cute, and how funny that Westie prayed for another hurricane! Hillarious! So glad to see you and your little ones (and Jeremy too)are doing so well!
E

Stephanie, Jason, Jaxon and Payton said...

Hey Robin! I found your blog on Erica's. Your family is so precious. Poor Brooklyn! I just wanted to say hi. Stephanie Boring (formerly Albright)

The Carrell's said...

So glad you are not on blog "strike" any more! I missed seeing your kiddos (and Sheila's!). Where's her blog?!